----------------
Loading...

Bodgey Bagel Caption Contest

Mr Bagels Latest Cartoon

Mr Bagel

Mr Bagel Latest Videos

Posts from Mr Bagel

Tuesday, 7 April 2009

Schindler's List found in Australia

According to Reuters the list that inspired the Novel and movie Schindler's Ark has been found in six boxes containing Thomas Keneally's historical research notes.
SYDNEY, April 7 (Reuters Life!)
" A list of Jews saved from the Nazi death camps during World War II by the German industrialist Oskar Schindler has been found in research notes at an Australian library and will go on public display on Tuesday.

The list of 801 Jewish men was found among six boxes of papers that belonged to the Australian author Thomas Keneally who wrote the book "Schindler's Ark" that was the basis for the Oscar-winning film "Schindler's List" by Stephen Spielberg. The 13-page, yellowing, document was found tucked between research notes and German newspaper cuttings by a researcher at the New South Wales Library in Sydney sifting through the boxes of manuscripts acquired by the library in 1996."

To read the full Reuters article click here:
Schindler's List found in Australian library

References:
Reuters: Schindler's List found in Australian library

Read More...

Monday, 25 August 2008

Anti Semitic assault victim gets apology from Victoria Police

Menachem Vorchheimer

From the Australian

Race hate victim settles police dispute

VICTORIA Police will educate officers on race relations after admitting an officer failed to intervene in an attack on a Jewish man.

The police force agreed to use the treatment of Melbourne businessman Menachem Vorchheimer in educating its officers about prejudice.

Mr Vorchheimer forced the police into the embarrassing admission of wrongdoing after he was attacked in October 2006 by a group of drunken country footballers who were on a mini-bus being driven by off-duty policeman Terence Moore.

Senior Constable Moore will now assist in educating other police officers about dealing with situations involving racial and religious vilification, Victoria Police said today.

"Victoria Police proposes Snr Const Moore's experience and that of Mr Vorchheimer and his family, be incorporated into training utilised in developing and training its people,'' Deputy Commissioner Simon Overland said.

He said the force regretted Mr Vorchheimer was beaten up in front of his young children, suffered pro-Nazi and anti-semitic abuse and had his yamulka and shabbat hat stolen by the Ocean Grove footballers on the bus as it drove through Caulfield.

"Such conduct can only be described as disgraceful and should not be tolerated in our community against anyone,'' Mr Overland said.

"Victoria Police is of the view that Snr Const Moore made an error of judgment and did not act in a positive manner to intervene at the earliest opportunity.''

Mr Vorchheimer told reporters he had never sought nor received financial compensation.

He said the aim of his two-year battle at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal against police had been to remove racial and religious vilification.

"Looking at the bigger picture we believe the outcome supports our endeavours for the betterment of the community,'' Mr Vorchheimer said.

"We want to reverse certain things that are not right in our community.''

Mr Vorchheimer, who sat in front of the bus refusing to let it pass after being attacked, began a two-year crusade against the police and later moved his family to the US.

He has now moved back to Melbourne.

Following the incidents, the Ocean Grove football club's captain, James Dalton, 28, was fined for offensive behaviour without a conviction and Matthew Cuthbert, 24, was convicted and fined for using insulting language.

Charges of theft and assault against Dalton and Cuthbert were dropped.

Bagelblogger:

References:
The Australian:
Race hate victim settles police dispute

Read More...

Sunday, 24 August 2008

Israeli - Palestinian Aussie rules team visits Australia


The Peace team training


The JTA has an article on a joint "Israeli-Palestinian team is in Australia to compete in an international Australian Rules football tournament."

"The 26-man “peace team” -- 13 Israelis and 13 Palestinians aged 16 to 36 -- conducted a sports clinic Thursday in Sydney for 160 Muslim, Jewish, Aboriginal and Christian youth.

The team, an initiative of the Peres Center for Peace and its nongovernmental organizational partner, the Al-Quds Organization, will be welcomed officially Friday by the governor of New South Wales, Marie Bashir.

It will fly to Melbourne to play next week against Britain, Papua New Guinea and Nauru.

Most of the players had never heard of Australia's indigenous sport, let alone played it, before January. They have persevered through challenges such as snow and checkpoint closures. A Palestinian player was forced to drop out following death threats because he was suspected of collaborating with Israelis.

But an Israeli player, Kevin Nafte, said the team pushed on despite the problems.

“When terrorists were firing rockets into Sderot and the IDF was operating in Gaza, an emotional rage transpired into a motivational force," he said. "And after the two abducted soldiers were returned to Israel in coffins, everyone just kept on playing football with a renewed enthusiasm and spirit.”

The Third International Cup is the sport’s equivalent of soccer's World Cup. Eighteen teams, including Canada and the United States, are competing in Melbourne between Aug. 27 and Sept. 7.

Australian Rules football is a blend of Gaelic football and rugby. There are three posts at each end of a giant oval and each team has 18 players."

The disconcerting thing is Aussie rules has four goal posts, have they moved the goal post to simulate the Palestinian approach to peace negotiations?

A Palestinian member being forced to drop out of the Palestinian team due to death threats from fellow Palestinians puts a whole new pressure on the concept of team selection.

Mr Bagel

References:
JTA:
'Peace team' playing in Australia

Further Details:
World Footy news

Read More...

Thursday, 21 August 2008

Hezbollah: Coming to a lounge room near you



Hezbollah 's Al-Manar television channel is being broadcast into Australia. The Sydney Morning Herald features a report indicating that Al-Manar and its vitriolic Anti Semitic content is being beamed via Indonesian company Indosat and that it is carrying talk shows, documentaries and programing dedicated to anti-Israeli, anti Western and pro militancy views.

Another troublesome aspect is that it carries children's programing and actively calls upon viewers to donate.

Australia-Israel and Jewish Affairs Council executive director Colin Rubenstein is advocating that the Australian government must approach attempts at stopping this Anti Semitic programming with creativity.

The Australian Government is awaiting a report by the Australian Communications and Media Authority into the content being broadcast by Al-Manar.

Hopefully Bagel's readers will not have to stayed tuned long to see this channel get the treatment it deserves.

Mr Bagel

References:
SMH:
Hezbollah TV 'live' in Australia

Image Ref: Nasrallah on television, Getty Images

Read More...

Saturday, 3 May 2008

Mr Bagel without the cheese.

What can I say? Ive been gone a looong time?

Am I still loved?

I don't know I can understand why some may have cast my memory to the wind.

The fact is my life has gone through some of the most radical changes I've ever experienced.

I no longer live in a remote farm house far from any town, I've moved to a rather large city.

But the really big changes are that I entered into a popular weight loss competition and well after 3 months of dieting and intense working out I've lost a staggering amount of weight.

How much? Lets say 50 kilograms. So who won the competition then? Well, I was fortunate enough to be the winner, and I walked away with a prestige car for free.

But the real reward was the look on my wife and childrens faces, seeing them realising that now, finally I can step up and be active and play with my children.

My friends who knew me before my weight lose still find it hard to believe just how much I have changed, both physically, emotionally and spiritually.

OK so now that you lost 50 kilos, have a brand new car what else is new?

Ive been inundated with job offers, after a quite overwhelming degree of publicity, Ive taken a position which Ive always wanted. In a nutshell, Ive now got the Job I've always dreamed of having!

So, I'm sorry for neglecting my blogging friends and readers, I hope you can find it in your hearts to understand my need to neglect my blogging and be rather uncommunicative.

Theres so much that has changed in my life in the last three months that it staggers me.

Absence hopefully does make the heart grow fonder.


Mr Bagel: A little less cream cheese a whole lot more tastier.

Read More...

Sunday, 17 February 2008

South Africans Take Dim View of Project Sydney

Dan Goldberg
Jewish Telegraphic Agency

South African Jewish leaders are fuming over a new initiative by Sydney's Jewish community to help Jews emigrate from Africa to Australia.

Zev Krengel, the national chairman of the South African Jewish Board of Deputies, wrote a letter last month urging Jewish leaders to suspend Project Sydney, a joint initiative of the New South Wales Jewish Communal Appeal and the New South Wales Jewish Board of Deputies.

"Seldom in the history of our community has there been such outrage towards the Jewish community of another country," charged Krengel. "From around South Africa, I am receiving calls expressing disquiet."

He wrote later: "We there believe that it is distasteful in the extreme and embarrassing for South African Jews to have you launch a campaign through published advertisements and a high-profile visit to attract members of our community to Sydney."

Two representatives from Project Sydney spent a week recently in South Africa, where they met more than 150 families who had expressed interest in emigrating to Australia.

Krengel, speaking in an interview this week from Johannesburg, said that "the community wasn't happy at all. Some people were very, very unhappy; other people were furious."

The Jewish population of South Africa has dropped from about 120,000 in 1970 to an estimated 75,000 today. They left early on because of apartheid, but now Jews are leaving largely due to crime.

Jewish leaders in Australia said that about 70 percent of the potential South African émigrés with whom they met were affected by violent crime.

Businessman Sheldon Cohen, 47, was shot and killed last week in Johannesburg as he was waiting for his teenaged son to finish soccer practice.

Thousands attended Cohen's funeral on Jan. 30, according to Johannesburg's The Times newspaper.

"Sheldon's death cannot go down as another statistic," Chief Rabbi Warren Goldstein said at the funeral, according to a newspaper report. "Our government needs to be held accountable for this. We as the community are not going to stand for this, and we say that one murder is one too much."

Krengel said that he met with the two Project Sydney representatives "in good faith," but added that "we're never going to welcome and encourage them. I don't think it's doing any good for our community."

Selwyn Shapiro, the director of Project Sydney, said that the initiative evolved from immigration agents receiving large numbers of requests for visas to Australia from South African Jews.

"We didn't go there to encourage anybody to leave," he said. "I fully understand their position; they are a strong community and don't want to be weakened. But people want to leave for their own reasons. People who are looking to come to Australia will find a community that welcomes them in Sydney."

'A Very Uncomfortable Feeling'

But Michael Bagraim, the national president of the South African Jewish Board of Deputies, said from Cape Town: "It's a very uncomfortable feeling. Our stop phrase has been, 'Go home [to Israel] or stay home,' and it has been right throughout apartheid. To interfere with that makes us all feel unhappy.

"I don't think it's kosher for us to go off to Sydney and say if you wish to come to Cape Town, we can assist you."

Bagraim said that some of the anger has been assuaged by Project Sydney's pledge not to target those making aliyah and only to engage with people who already have decided to leave South Africa.

But he warned that the publicity campaign could impact negatively on local Jews.

"It's very uncomfortable to have these advertisements," said Bagraim. "Our government will ask the question: 'Is it acceptable to our local Jews?' It might be perceived by the powers that be as Jews acting negatively."

Bagelblogger: It's hard to know how to react to this campaign. Is it no wonder that great numbers of South African Jews are wanting to leave South Africa?

Should the local South African Jewish population remain passive and unheard as more and more of their quality of life decreases and the rates of crime spiral continually upward.

I tend to think that the lessons of the past should be brought to bare.

If a national Government fails to act in a supportive fashion towards the established norms of society then its not time to lower one's head and hope it passes, its time to shout loudly that it is unacceptable and that there will be consequences.

Looking beyond the parochial question of staying in South Africa as a South African Jew, if South African Jews are considering emigration to any where but Israel why shouldn't Project Sydney put forward the merits of emigrating to Australia.

References:
JTA:South Africans take dim view of Aussie Plan

Read More...

Thursday, 24 January 2008

Young Australian dies after ancient ruins path collapses

David Burnett
From ABC News
A 21-year old Australian man has been killed in an accident in southern Jordan.

David Burnett suffered multiple head injuries when a cliff path he was walking on collapsed in the ruins of Petra.

Mr Burnett, on holiday in Jordan, was a former vice-president of the Australasian Union of Jewish Students (AUJS).

In a statement on the AUJS website, president Jessica Roth paid tribute to Mr Burnett.

"Dave was an inspiration to all who knew him and will be greatly missed. His passing will leave a huge void in the Jewish community, AUJS and our personal lives," she said.

The AUJS extended its deepest condolences to Mr Burnett's family and friends and said it is planning to hold a commemoration ceremony in coming weeks.

In the meantime, the AUJS invited people who knew Mr Burnett to come to Shalom College at the University of New South Wales in Sydney this Friday, January 25 at 1:30pm AEDT, to share memories and provide support to each other.

Mr Burnett was an Arts/Law student at the University of Sydney and attended Killara High School, graduating in 2003.

The ancient archaeological site is visited by hundreds of thousands of tourists annually.

Bagelblogger: A terrible tragedy for the Australian Jewish community and for the Labor party.

Further reading:
SMH: Labor star killed in cliff accident

References:
News Org: Australian killed after ancient ruins path collapses

PhotoCredit: SMH: Labor star killed in cliff accident

Read More...

Hot Tips?

Send an Email
BAGELHOTLINE

Blog Resources

Blog Buiding


Under
Contruction
Under
Contruction
Under
Contruction
Under
Contruction
Under
Contruction

- 3

- 3

-4

-4